Friday, May 8, 2015

Focus and Opportunity

We have just received pictures of the village where we will be starting our project. These photos were taken yesterday by Sova, who is the daughter of our dear family friend, Najaman.  The buildings you see here are the homes of the residents living in our village, Machchhegaun Tole.  We will be getting the pictures of the school we will be repairing very soon.







I was a little concerned that the school repair would be a smaller project than we expected, as I have heard that it may only have cracks and it has not been completely destroyed. It will need repairs done; however, at the moment, we don't know the extent of the damage.  I wanted to make sure we had the potential for a second project, if this one would require less work (and therefore, less funds) than we expected. 

Us with Bishnu and his beautiful wife! 
As a result, I called our dear friend Bishnu.  Bishnu has gained a lot of recognition over the past year because he starred in a documentary called 'Meet the Mormons', which a short clip can be seen here. However, regardless of his recent notoriety, I would have reached out for his advice as he is one of the most humble, kind, and service-minded people I know. This project is not church sponsored, but I definitely wanted to ask him questions and seek his advice about his expertise in humanitarian work.  

What a delight it was to talk to him! I hadn't seen him since Sarita's wedding and I was thrilled to hear his voice, and he seemed equally as excited to hear mine.  As expected, he gave me a wealth of information, and most importantly, he told me that he knew of 2 other districts that desperately needed school repairs. He described to me that many of the classrooms were destroyed and that a few of the schools were flattened to rubble.  I told him our vision for Hearts and Hands for Nepal and he said he would be grateful if we could look at one of the schools to rebuild as he said he was concerned for the children because they had no place to learn.  He said for now, they will be using tents until the schools are rebuilt.  

This gave me goosebumps, as it was exactly what I was hoping to find.  He will be providing me photographs of the various schools along with descriptions of the repairs that will be required.  Hearts and Hands for Nepal is thrilled by this new development as it will be wonderful to not only repair one of the schools, but also have the opportunity to provide more for the children of Nepal.  

Please stay tuned, as we will soon be having an auction of Nepali goods, and other fund raisers for this amazing project.   All proceeds will go towards Hearts and Hands for Nepal.  We are committed to ensure that all donations will go specifically towards the materials and labor to rebuild schools in Nepal.  Your $2.00 donation could pay for a brick that will further a child's education, or your $500 donation could build a wall! No donation is too small to be part of such a wonderful project like Hearts and Hands for Nepal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment